Thursday, March 31, 2011

Winter's Tale

So...was Hermione dead and brought back to life? or was she gone like her daughter and by the power of fairy-tales came back just in time for the happy ending? And why does she come back other than to fulfill the reunion special theme of the romances? I really don't think her husband learned his lesson.  The whole dwelling-near-the-churchyard thing seems more like an outward display of penance meant for the benefit of those judging him rather than the purification of his own soul that we've said comes only from suffering.  In the end, I really don't care because I'm so excited that the magician was a woman.  I love these strong female characters...maybe a term paper idea?

I'm liking these Romances and the way they mix the gory violence of tragedy with the happy endings of comedies.  I don't know if this is because they were written at the end of Shakespeare's career and are a part of the logical evolution of the play to the way we know the novel to be now, mixing a little suffering with the happy endings or if it is just coincidence.  But something tells me there are no coincidences with Shakespeare. Especially when you look at the intertextuality of the plays, making allusions to one another in line with the mythological allusions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment